Long time no post

I know, behind on the posting, by a lot.
So, I have to update you guys on Bento #10 (and then I fell out of the bento habit and need to get back into it), and the 2 craft projects I have finished, as well as all the cleaning crazyness. But, that's for another post. Here are some more cooking reviews of things I have made recently.

Honey Chicken Salad - SparkleFox's Rating:4.5/5 (My version, not theirs!)

This comes from Southern Living 2006 Annual collections, however it is apparently availible online for free at Myrecipes.com

However, I have modified it - because noone in their right mind would put that many calories/much mayo in a salad. At least nobody *I* consider sane. So the modifications I have for a better salad are-
More celery
More cranberries
More pecans
All of that is to taste.

Go to 1 cup not 1.5 cups of mayo, and I used 1/2 regular Hellman's, 1/2 reduced fat hellmans (I use the same 1/2 1/2 mixture for my other chicken salad). Cuts your calories in 1/2 and the salad is still quite moist enough for me. I didn't actually even use all of it.

The "Other" Chicken Salad: SparkleFox's Rating: 5/5
While I'm at it, another chicken salad recipe that I have used before I found this one is to have red seedless grapes either concord or chopped in 1/2s in the salad, chicken, apple cider vinegar (add after mayo to right taste, i tend to add a tiny bit of mayo, then a little vinegar, and work up so it's right), salt, pepper, 1/2 regular mayo 1/2 full fat (ratio, not measurement, this is all to taste), walnuts, and celery. Very tasty.

Sausage Egg "Muffins": SparkleFox's Rating: 5/5
Source: All Recipes

This is an EXCELLENT recipe! No photos, I used lean sausage and a key here is to DRAIN WELL. It was even okay leftovers. I got 8 muffins not 6 out of 1/2 the recipe but I was eyeballing the peppers and onions and probably added more than they have measured. Obviously brush your teeth after this one!. It's also very savory by itself, but is plain enough you could dress it up with salsa or whatever blend of spices you prefer.

Chicken Cordon Bleu II: SparkleFox's Rating 1/5
Source: All Recipes
For a top rated recipe, perhaps I did something terribly wrong here, but boy did this not turn out well. I ate most of it but what I froze I may just throw out instead. Of note- I made 1/2 the recipes.
First- I found it pretty hard to wrap the things up so the cheese wouldn't fall out. But this is ok and forgivable, better chefs than I probably could have done this better.
Second - I cut the butter I think in 1/2 of what was called for (I made it a while ago) and it was still too greasy. What the hell are these people thinking?
Third - I don't agree with the choice of Paprika here after tasting it.
Fourth - Cream as a sauce on top of a dish this rich is not cool. I wound up using very little on the first one and skipping it after that.

Needless to say, I'll be looking for a different Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe if I bother trying again. My current stance is the microwave kind can't be much unhealthier for you than THIS and they're way tastier!

0 comments: